What’s in a Gender?
What’s in a Gender?
Boy…girl…both? Wait, what am I? Who am I? I see one thing but I feel like another. There must have been a mistake!
What’s in a gender? I’d say a whole lot!
I went to go see this group of poets that I love, live in action. Their gift of words, truth and passion mixed all in one will have you sitting straight up in your seat, with your eyes and ears fixed ahead of you. One of the ladies on this “Poets in Autumn” tour goes by the name Jackie Hill-Perry and she talked about the importance of gender, she use to be homosexual. Her words dug deep into my heart and it made me think about why there is a such thing as gender.
Have you ever been confused, even angry about your gender? I am not surprised if you said yes. In today’s society so many people are confused about who they really are and where there is confusion their is chaos!
But don’t worry! I want to give you some truth & clarity topped off with love and encouragement, I’d say a good recipe for peace & confidence in who you really are.
So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them;male and female he created them.
God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.” – Genesis 1:27-28
“God saw all that he had made, and it was very good…” – Gen 1:31
This passage is very important in us understanding exactly who we are as young women. Lets point out some important things we cant afford to miss:
- God created! When some one creates something, they have full ownership, creativity and authority ( to give orders, make decisions, and enforce obedience) over their creation. He made human beings…us!
- In His own Image! Now this is a big one. God created humans in his image, a mirror reflection of His own character, mind, heart and desires.
- Male and Female! Here is the distinction! When He created us He had a specific gender & role in his heart for each one of us. If he wanted to make such a distinction then it must be for great reason.
- God blessed! Despite of what you may think about the word ‘blessing’, it’s true meaning is not just material things but it is God’s covering, protection, provision and approval. He blessed the gender he made you to be.
- Fill the earth! This shows that one of his distinctions between the 2 genders is the ability to create babies, only a male and female human can create a baby.
- Subdue it! He gave each gender specific power and authority over the earth ( all the way down to our countries, states, communities, homes & persons)
- It was very Good! This shows that God determines what is good and what is not & in this case, His creation in his image of a male or female that he has blessed to increase and rule is very good!
You see ladies, when God creates, he gives it purpose, responsibility and goodness. As a woman, you and I were given purpose that is specifically attached to our gender in God’s image. Here are a few things that I have learned in what a woman is:
She produces, creates, gives life, takes a seed and makes it grow bigger and better, like the first woman, Eve. ( Gen 3:20)
She nurtures ( encourage the growth or development of ) and nourishes ( provide with the food or other substances necessary for growth, health, and good condition).
She is able to submit to a mission and follow her leader so that her home, husband, kids and business may be blessed and in order! ( Ephesians 5:22-24)
She is continuously cleansed by her husband washing her with the word of God. (Ephesians 5:25-33)
She brings goodness and favor ( approval, support, help beyond whats expected) to her husband. ( Proverbs 18:22)
She is a manager/ helper on the most highest professional level! (Gen 2:18)
This list I gave is only a taste of all the goodness that a woman brings to her kids, husband, family, friends, job, community and the WORLD! When we try to be something that we are not (a boy) we give up our power & authority that God gave us as women & our ability to fulfill our purpose on this earth & that’s exactly what the enemy wants. If we give all that up in gender confusion, then the man will no longer have the heavenly rights of a man, woman will no longer have heavenly rights of a woman, families will be in chaos, kids confused, communities broken, prayers not heard and you & I not in position to build the kingdom of God here on earth, as we are created to do.
No matter how you dress, how many baggy clothes you wear, what you name yourself, what pills you take or even how much plastic surgery you get to look like the opposite gender you were not created as, you can not change the genetic make up of your gender and you can not change the heavenly identity given to you by your creator. When we try to be something we are not, we present ourselves to God as a complete stranger because we are no longer who He created. Embrace yourself, just as God made you.
“I am Woman, not just because of my body parts but because that’s who God made me to be from the inside out. It’s how I am wired, how I am made, in His image and when gender is attacked its really the image and glory of God that they hate!
I am asking God to totally redefine what I thought a woman should be, look like or how she should think. I love the Gender He gave me” – Brittany M. Jones
The heart is a true liar! Did you know that how you feel is not always what’s real? Check out another SHE Abundantly favorite to help with your feelings, especially when feeling like you are suppose to be another gender or concerning your sexual orientation. Why NOT to Follow Your Heart! Emotions & Relationships